- 07-Apr-2017 to 31-Jul-2017 (CST)
- Chicago, IL, USA
FLSA status: Non-Exempt
Department: Outreach and Health Ministry (OHM)
Reports to: Outreach Services Manager, OHM
Position Summary: Provides pastoral care and support for the people of the nighttime streets.
General Purpose: Delivers services and support in accordance with Night Ministry vision and purpose.
- Must provide pastoral care from the Health Outreach Bus.
- Work closely with other staff members and volunteers to ensure services are provided on the street and from the Outreach Bus
- Be available as a listening ear and resource for visitors to the Outreach bus; establish relationships and build rapport in a non-judgmental way; employ motivational interviewing and harm reduction methods to engage visitors in services available; offer referrals for social services
- Provide pastoral counseling to visitors of the bus when requested.
- Give volunteers opportunities for fellowship, as well as the opportunity to serve whenever possible.
- In close cooperation with The Night Ministry's health services staff; provide counseling and HIV/STD testing at various sites as needed.
- Carry out periodic nighttime community needs assessments.
- Complete, maintain and submit required documents accurately and on schedule.
- Keep up-to-date with the issues related to the target population, including current literature, available resources, and street dynamics.
- Attend staff, agency and inter-agency meetings as able.
- Participate in training opportunities as required or as able.
- Occasionally represent The Night Ministry to community and congregational groups, participating in The Night Ministry's public relations and fund-raising activities as required or as able.
- Special projects and duties as assigned.
- Must be willing to work Sundays; at least two days per week.
Essentials skills and experience:
- Master's Degree in Divinity (or significant ministry experience) from an accredited college, university or seminary; Three years of ministry experience, or relevant similar experience.
- Three years of experience doing outreach work with the homeless, or relevant similar experience.
- Valid driver's license, evidence of insurability, able and willing to drive the Outreach Bus.
- Physically able to walk and/or stand on the street, in all seasons, for as long as six consecutive hours.
- Street smarts; able to work comfortably in all Chicago neighborhoods.
- Evidence of excellent interpersonal and pastoral skills.
Nonessential skills and experience:
- Either currently have or be willing to obtain CDL Class B driving license within six months of employment.
- Spanish language helpful
- Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) hours; with a minimum of one unit.
Reporting to this position: no direct reports
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; climb stairs; crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move 20 pounds and drive an automobile and the outreach bus. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but may vary at the different locations required in this job. The employee will be exposed to all varieties of Chicago weather, and will be expected to work mainly evening hours.
Compensation: position offers hourly salary and is not eligible for benefits.
General sign-off: The employee is expected to adhere to all organization policies and regulations specified by the Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS), the State of Illinois, and The Night Ministry.